Summer Creative Writing Intensives at Drew University
If your Teen loves to write, The Writers Circle Summer Creative Writing Intensives (http://writerscircleworkshops.com/summer/) at Drew University is the perfect place to hone their craft in a generous, creative environment. Three Week-long Intensives and Writing Daily, 9:00 AM-4:00 PM.
- Week 1: July 20-24
- Week 2: July 27-July 31
- Week 3: August 3-7
Join us for one, two, or all three weeks!
At our summer writing camps, students will develop their voices and writing ideas in a generous, creative environment with professional authors as instructors. Each week they’ll choose from two different genres to focus on – fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, sci-fi/fantasy, and more. They’ll focus on their own writing projects as well as new work inspired by creative exercises and prompts. They’ll receive supportive, constructive feedback from instructors and peers. Special excursions, literary inter-activities, and a reading on Fridays for family and friends will round out the week. They’ll also have the chance to submit their work for publication in The Writers Circle’s online journal (http://writerscirclejournal.wordpress.com/).
This coming summer, students will:
- work with professional authors to develop their voices and writing ideas
- choose two different genres to focus on each week
- work on their own writing projects and get personal editorial feedback
- get supportive, constructive writing critique from instructors and peers
- submit and publish work in The Writers Circle’s online journal
- spend time examining the writing of peers and masters
Plus they’ll meet like-minded young writers from the local area who share their passion!
A Writer’s Day at TWC's Summer Intensive:
- 9:00-9:30 - Writing Warm-ups (Physical, literary and creative)
- 9:30-11:00 - Genre #1 workshop with a published author
- 11:00-12:30 - Genre #2 workshop with a published author
- 12:30-1:30 - Brown bag lunch and time to move and socialize
- 1:30-2:30 - Free writing and editorial conferences with TWC Directors and Instructors
- 2:30-3:45 - Group critique and literary activities, plus a Friday Reading for family and friends
- 3:45-4:00 - Wrap-up and Pick-up
The program will be capped by a student reading for family and friends each Friday afternoon
WordSMASH "Creative Writing Mini-Camps for rising 1st-7th graders"
This two-hour per afternoon, week-long program is chock-full of writing games, wacky prompts, and time to sink into a favorite book just to read! Seasoned writers will be challenged by story starters unlike anything they’ve seen in school. Reluctant writers will find TWC’s interactive games and prompts an irresistible invitation to start creating. Our collaborative, energetic environment will lay the foundation for kids to let loose and let the words flow. Let WordSMASH! (http://writerscircleworkshops.com/summer/#wordsmash) keep writing and reading alive for your kids this summer!
See our full line-up of workshops for children, teens and adults in SUMMIT, SOUTH ORANGE, MAPLEWOOD, MONTCLAIR and MORRISTOWN.